Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An explaination is in order....

FALL 2001

Well I guess I better explain myself. I love old trailers. I REALLY love old trailers. I didn’t always feel this way. In fact, there was a time when vintage trailers were not even on my radar.

We lived in Scappoose Oregon, a little town about 20 miles North by Northwest of Portland. I had gotten laid off in June, the 9/11 terrorist attacks had changed everything, and in between job searches (discovered I was too old to join the FBI… how depressing!), I wasted time playing music, tinkering with my fun car (a 1971 Volvo 1800E) and tackling various home improvement projects. My neighbors called me “Handy Steve” because I had good luck fixing things, and wasn’t afraid to try.

One November evening Haley (my lovely wife) and I were watching TV. HGTV did a segment about vintage travel trailers featuring a company called Vintage-Vacations. WHAT IS THIS?!! We looked at each other all bug-eyed and excited. How had we never seen this before?!! Vintage Airstreams?! Brilliant! What a great idea!

Haley had fond memories of camping as a child in an Airstream Landyacht her dad borrowed from a neighbor. I had never set foot inside a trailer, vintage or new… but I know I didn’t like tent camping very much. We have two children. What a great way to take vacations and build memories as a family.

The search was on!

No comments:

Post a Comment